Quantcast
Channel: Sunday World Site - Northern Ireland
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 552

Little Oscar Knox losing fight against cancer

$
0
0
Oscar Knox, who is losing his battle against cancer, pictured with his father Stephen

Oscar Knox, who is losing his battle against cancer, pictured with his father Stephen

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness offered support to the family of little Oscar Knox yesterday after it emerged he was losing his fight against cancer.

The five-year-old is a household name throughout Ireland after he bravely fought against a particularly aggressive form of the disease called neuroblastoma.

Last year it seemed the Glengormley boy had won his fight after he was given the all-clear by cancer doctors.
But earlier this week his family announced he was very ill and getting worse by the day.

They said they had pinned their hopes on a new drug to help Oscar fight the illness.

However, on Friday the family announced on Twitter that his condition had become worse.

The said: “Oscar’s health has deteriorated significantly this week and with very heavy hearts we have moved to the phase of managing his pain #TeamOscar”

Martin McGuinness was among a swathe of people who took to social media sites to offer support.

He said: “Oscar & his family have gripped our hearts - love,thoughts& prayers for them today#littlehero”

Also Celtic Football Club, who Oscar supported and was given the honour of leading out before a match, offered their support to the “brave Bhoy”.

They tweeted: “The thoughts and prayers of the Celtic family are with brave Bhoy, Oscar Knox, and his family. @Wee_Oscar”

The news is a devastatingly cruel blow for the family especially as it comes almost exactly a year after the family celebrated the news that the cancer appeared to have gone.

That came after a high profile fundraising campaign which helped send Oscar to the US for life saving treatment.

Oscar’s inspirational story led to him winning the overall prize at the Spirit of Northern Ireland awards last year, which was presented to him by his friend, two-time Olympic bronze winning boxer Paddy Barnes who also joined with the well-wishers on Twitter.

Barnes tweeted yesterday afternoon: “@Wee_Oscar hope you get better soon wee man!Whenyou do Ill call round and give you a drive in my new car!#FEARLESS”


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 552

Trending Articles



<script src="https://jsc.adskeeper.com/r/s/rssing.com.1596347.js" async> </script>